Monday, May 18, 2009

The Beginning is the End is the Beginning

A good song, by the way. I think its inclusion in the first Watchmen trailer was pure genius. Interesting: much of the music in the movie was quite appropriate. No matter what the film's problems, at least it had good music.

But the purpose of this post is not to rave about the music in Watchmen (how about using Simon & Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence during the burial scene? eh?). The purpose of this post is--what is the purpose of this post, again? I've forgotten. If there ever was a purpose.

It's funny how everything is always the same and never the same. I know, I know, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel cliche-wise (by the way, in case you hadn't noticed, "scraping the bottom of the barrel" is a cliche as well), but I've noticed it over the past week. Everything stays the same: finals roll up again, as they do at the end of every semester, and students move out of the res halls, and people break up and hook up, and students graduate and leave behind their college careers forever, or not forever.

And yet everything is winding up for Beginnings already. Student Orientation And Registration (SOAR, very clever and despicably corny) days are thronging through here, and people are getting married, some of them in Omaha, some of them during the run of the fall musical. Schedules are being set for the fall, people are planning their extracurricular activities, and I need to find some people to work backstage for Will Rogers Follies. Interested?

I'm not sure what I'm trying to communicate here. Maybe my point is that we mustn't get too wedded to what we're doing right now, our current situation. We've got to be flexible, able to work with change. I know some people who really can't do that--they're inextricably wedded to the past, the way things used to be, and that really hurts them. I'm trying to stay flexible...it's sorta working. Sorta. But I feel that changes are coming, and coming soon. And that's hard to swallow. (Another cliche there...)

This has been a quiet and introspective post. Not a lot of fun, I fear. I'm sorry, all you my ephemeral readers--not a lot of explosions or swearing or blood and guts. Deal with it: I'm in a quiet and introspective mood.

Yes.

Long live introspection!

Wait, I've used that one before.

Long live the inexorable passage of time, and its effect on our decision-making!

Nah: too long and too stupid.

Let's try this one...

Long live moving on!

There, that works. That works.

LONG LIVE MOVING ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment