Saturday, January 3, 2009

Breaking the Curse, and Other Uninformed Opinions

So, perhaps...perhaps...the Arizona Cardinals have broken the curse which has bound them for, well, forever. At least it seems like forever. Put it this way: my esteemed father was not born the last time the Cards won a playoff game. So yeah, it's been a long time, and it's hard not to share in the joy that die-hard Cards fans, if such even exist, must now be feeling. They've waited long enough, and now they can enjoy it.

It seems, as well, that the San Diego Chargers have defeated the Indianapolis Colts 23-17 in overtime to win that game. I must say that I'm surprised; even though the Colts have had difficulty, even counterintuitive difficulty with the Chargers, I still expected and hoped that Tony Dungy and the oft-injured Colts would ride their hot streak into the title game, at least.

But on the whole, it was a good night for football. Even though I'm still not sure San Diego belonged in the playoffs, they played a good game tonight, and nothing says "legitimacy" like winning in overtime. Well...perhaps there a few things which say "legitimacy" better, like a big bronze placard which says "Legitimacy" on it, but figuratively...you know what, to heck with it.

Closing thoughts, then, are in order, and they are as follows:
First, the Terminator franchise takes itself way, way too seriously, and yet I don't hate the series. Usually, if a movie or series of movies takes itself too seriously, I dislike it, instinctively. Terminator is too much fun to be worth anything as a serious critique of an increasingly automated society, or as a philosophical exploration of time travel, either.
Secondly, I'm not sure if I admire or despise Sylvester Stallone as an actor.
Third, my window is making funny noises.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, right there.

Long live self-awareness!

No comments:

Post a Comment