Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rating the Browsers

I like to think I don't do things the way everyone else does. Apparently, I'm not as unpredictable as I liked to imagine, but I'm still going to make my rankings, and I hope people will give their thoughts.

In my Uninformed Opinion, the browser war is a microcosm of both the video game console war and the PC/Mac war. It really comes down to what you've used, what you want, and what others tell you. However, changes can be made, as my experience proves.

With no further ado, therefore, my browser rankings, with comments (assume latest versions):

1. Mozilla Firefox--Simultaneously slick-looking, easy-to-use, and versatile, Firefox is widely accepted as the alternate to IE, which a lot of people seem to hate. Usually, I use Firefox.
2. Safari--Mac people tend to like Safari, because Safari is Apple's default browser. Its design is very much a Mac-type design, and Windows fans may find this annoying. I haven't used Safari much, but I've been very impressed by what I've seen.
3. Internet Explorer--the heavyweight of the group. IE has been around seemingly forever, and most people think of IE when they think of browsers. I used to be a hardcore IE fan, but Mozilla and Safari have it beat, in my opinion. While IE is comfortable for 68% of browser users, according to Wikipedia, most other browsers have already incorporated bookmark options, which IE still doesn't have.
4. Opera--I know little to nothing about Opera, and I understand it does have its die-hard fans. From my experience of it though, it's a bit heavy on the looks and light on the capabilities. I'm willing to give it a try, but I don't think I'm about to become a fan.
5. Google Chrome--Ha. Why exactly Google decided to try to hang with the big boys, I can't tell. Perhaps Google is one of the big boys, but I'm not sure they've proved it with Chrome. It's not unique enough to separate it from the pack, and the Incognito mode is its most individual feature. I seldom use Chrome, and I think it'll probably submerge into oblivion and mediocrity.

So that's it. Why exactly I did this, I don't know, but for what it's worth...that's my Uninformed Opinion.

Long live technological competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment