Sunday, January 18, 2009

Final Thoughts Which Are Also Random

Good Sunday. The Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers are in the Super Bowl, and while I could detail the awesome and super-cool storylines contributing to the drama of the Big Game, I don't think I will. Instead, I will talk about the games.

First, the wonderful, terrible, gut-wrenching NFC Championship Game, featuring the perennially underachieving Cards and the recently big-game-choking Iggles. Good game, especially that Philly comeback, followed by that 'Zona comeback. Whoo!

And then the (I guess) cool AFC Championship Game, featuring two teams that hate each other, namely the Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers. I guess it was a good game...I didn't watch it, but...yeah.

This is not a sports blog! But I seem to have been sports blogging here; that's not a good thing. Well, I guess it's not a bad thing, but this blog is called Ian The Pontificator's Uninformed Opinion, not Ian The Sports Geek's Uninformed Sports Blog. If I'm going to command respect or anything similar, I'm going to need to pull out the big guns: Philosophy.

And yet, I'm not exactly in a philosophical mood. Griffin knows I should be, 'cause I just watched what may be absolutely the most philosophical movie ever: The Matrix. Okay, nonexistent philosophy nerds who're reading this, shut up. I know you all have your own particular favorite real philosophy movie, but bah! Shut up and listen.

Actually, don't listen, because I don't do this Talking When Others Are Paying Attention bit very well. See, I think the whole "Neo as Jesus" thing is overrated. Sure, sure, it's pretty awesome how there's all that blatant stuff with The One and resurrection and flying--wait, Jesus couldnt...well, it's all very obvio. And I wonder if perhaps the learned Wachowski siblings are trying to make us concentrate on something small to obscure the huge things. For instance, most of my Christian friends focus on the Cool Symbolism and don't think about the philosophical ramifications of the lines being delivered. Here's the question: is The Matrix trilogy, usw, propounding trustworthy or untrustworthy stuff?

I mean, seriously. Look at it sometime. And forget the symbolism for a minute, and just watch it. Pay attention, and try to think about it.

Long live far-ranging topics!

No comments:

Post a Comment