Monday, January 5, 2009

Some Things Never Change...

...like jokes, and people. My good buddy Mike is a cynic, and he prides himself on the fact. I used to think that Mike is one-of-a-kind, unique, an anomaly. Apparently he's not; apparently he's actually the clone of a fellow named Apemantus who lived way back in Ancient Greece. Or at least Shakespeare thinks he did...I'm being rather disjointed. Basically, my Shakespeare class is focusing on Timon of Athens right now, and there's a character, Apemantus, in the play, who delights in saying the unexpected and impolite and true things, and this character reminds me of Mike. Or rather Mike reminds me of this character.

The point I'm trying to make is that the basic genres of people have undergone little change throughout recorded history. There will always be people like Apemantus, and there will always be people like Timon, and there will always be people like Flavius. As for me, the world is a mess, and I just need to rule it. (That quote is courtesy of Dr. Horrible.)

Long live predictability!

No comments:

Post a Comment